Saturday 25 February 2017

THE OUTRAGEOUS COST OF THE SRC/NUGS NOMINATION FORMS


  Information reaching me from a reliable source indicates that the prices allotted to the various nomination forms of the various SRC/NUGS portfolios have not been approved by the  General Assembly. What it therefore means is that, the prices we have seen circulating social media is false and who ever is behind it is not a serious person and should be brought to order. I'm not sure the SRC President has endorsed this propaganda. If he has, then it is a shame and an indictment on the General Assembly and the whole student body at large. It not accepted anywhere. Well, this also borders on the effectiveness of the General Assembly. As it stands now, I do not know and I'm sure many  do not know their GA representatives. Is the General Assembly dead or they have become old men and women with no teeth to bite?

  As I clearly stated in the article I wrote on Campaign finance being a recipe for corruption, I still maintain a strong believe that there's no reasonable reason why students should pay exorbitant amounts just to purchase nomination forms. Kaman how? What is the rationale behind such prices. Every year, prices of forms keep increasing. Why? It is time not to only challenge the status quo but to change it. We came and met it that way doesn't mean we should continue in that direction. It would have been quite understandable, it we were still using the manual system, where ballot papers have to be printed and huge sums of monies have to be spent on other election materials but that is not the case. We are using the E-system. The benefits of using the E- system is to make things easier, faster and cheaper. So if prices are still going up with the E-sytem, then there's Something awfully wrong some where.

  The information I'm also picking up from the ground indicates that the SRC will be holding a general meeting today, obviously to deliberate on some of these pertinent issues. I encourage all students who have interest in such matters though aren't G.A representatives to follow the due process and they would be allowed to participate in the deliberations. My ask is that the The G.A of SRC should follow the footsteps of the most vibrant association on campus (MELSSA), as in their last general meeting, they unanimously agreed to significantly slash the prices of their nomination forms even though forms where already sold ( so, monies will be refunded). There's nothing wrong if the prices of the forms are lower than last year's. Moreover, I believe the SRC has the resources to conduct these elections without charging a penny for nomination forms. My ask is that members of the General Assembly should do everything in their power to reduce significantly, the prices of these forms for the good of UDS Tamale campus.

  I will end by saying as I said in my earlier publication that the huge sums of money we spend on election as students prepares the grounds for gargantuan corruption.
.................................................................................
Thank you!!
These are my thoughts!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well spoken my goog friend. Since Taminu took over till date I don't know my GA rep. U can imagin the atmosphere he is creating to loot our money.

    He will be judged accordingly to the his bad deeds

    ReplyDelete